The Plaza de España is located in the capital’s province, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
It is the largest square in the Canary Islands.
It was built in 1929 on the Castle of San Cristóbal, first fortification of importance for the defense of Santa Cruz against piracy.
At present some of its walls can be visited accessible through an underground gallery located under the square.
Its borders on the north with the Plaza de la Alameda del Duque de Santa Elena, on the south with the buildings of Correos and Cabildo Insular de Tenerife, on the east with the Avenida Marítima and Puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife, on the west with Plaza de La Candelariaand Casino de Tenerife building.
The square was remodelled by the famous architects Herzog & Meuron as part of the City Quay Project.
It is formed by an enormous lake of marine water with a geyser in the center. The lighting is formed by pieces that simulate water droplets of different sizes.